Leah B. Mazzola, PhD, BCC
Owner & Board Certified Coach (Specialty Designations: Personal/Life & Career Coaching)
Registered ICF Mentor Coach
Member, International Coach Federation
1(800) 207-7750 Ext. 1, email@example.com
My passion for people development is two-fold. First, personal experience with quantum change in life, relationships, and career means I know a single choice today to change your tomorrows is a powerful place to be. Second, near a decade of formal study and research into human functioning means I understand the science behind the process. Personal, professional, and social development are the keys to create the outcomes we seek. Each begins with self-exploration and self-mastery; and grow with focused work. Unfortunately, there’s no way around the work part. That’s where coaching comes in.
One can choose to go back toward safety or forward toward growth. Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again.- Abraham Maslow
I am the Founder and Managing Director of Youth Coaching Institute, LLC, an accredited youth life coach training organization. Prior to transitioning to full-time entrepreneurship, I spent 18 years in the corporate sector in various progressive employment roles between finance and insurance. My favorite experience in the corporate world was the last five years spent managing teams through times of organizational change. I got the chance to combine my passion for talent development and natural affinities for research, analysis, and knowledge-seeking to support evidence-based decision-making, mitigate stress, and enhance outcomes for my teams. As a coach, I get to support my clients as they learn to attend to their own lives and performance as diligently as they do their external work. As a coach trainer, I get to equip new leaders with the knowledge and skills necessary to make a positive, meaningful difference in their organizations.
Coach Specific Training
My coach specific training includes over 250 hours with various accredited coach specific training providers.
- PhD in Psychology with Forensic Psychology Specialization
- Applying expertise in human mind and behavior to issues relating to law and policy
- Special Interest Areas: Identity and mindful change, criminal desistance, motivation and engagement, the role of cognitive and emotional biases in fallible judgment and decision-making in legal contexts, investigative interviewing, negotiation, and dispute resolution
- BS in Criminal Justice Administration
- AA in Criminal Justice
- Numerous licenses and certifications relevant to my areas of expertise
- International Coach Federation
- Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychology-Law Society
- American Bar Association
- Practical Instructional Design Certificate, Arizona State University – 2019
- Certified Special Arbitrator, Auto, Arbitration Forums, Inc. – 2017
- Board Certified Coach, Center for Credentialing & Education – 2015
- Certified Master Coach, Certified Group Coach, Certified Laser Coach, World Coach Institute – 2014
- Mental Health First Aid, National Council for Behavioral Health – 2013
- MentorCoach Foundations, Foundations Completion Certificate, Mentor Coach, LLC – 2013
- Associate Certified Coach, International Coach Federation – 2013
- Protecting Human Research Participants, National Institute of Health – 2013
- Certified Anger Resolution Therapist, Center for Anger Resolution – 2013
- Academic Life Coach, Coach Training EDU – 2012
- Human Research Protections Training, Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative – 2012
- Senior Claim Law Associate, American Educational Institute, Inc. – 2010
- Casualty Claim Law Associate, American Educational Institute, Inc. – 2010
- Fraud Claim Law Associate, American Educational Institute, Inc. – 2010
- Auto Claim Law Associate, American Educational Institute, Inc. – 2010
- Adjuster License, Texas Department of Insurance – 2008
- P&C General Lines Agent License, Texas Department of Insurance – 2006
Psychology cannot tell people how they ought to live their lives. It can however, provide them with the means for effecting personal and social change. – Albert Bandura
The Following Concepts Guide My Approach
- Humans share a natural drive to meet the following needs: autonomy (free will, self-direction, human agency), relatedness (belonging), competence (to be able and capable), psychological growth, well-being, and self-actualization (to achieve our fullest potential).
- Social contexts (environments and relationships) that encourage the satisfaction of these needs foster inner motivation enhancing psychological growth and well-being.
- Social contexts that stand in the way of our basic needs cultivate poor motivation, performance, and well-being.
- Humans are self-determined agents with the power to grow, change, overcome, and achieve.
- Our perception DOES create our reality. The problem there is that our perceptions are too often flawed leading to unfounded assumptions, beliefs, resulting attitudes, perspectives, motivations, and behaviors born of automatic processes that we too often allow to go on unchallenged. The beautiful thing there is that perceptions are easily adjusted with attention, time, and effort. Hence, intentional transformation is possible.
- Many of our life moments are born of self-fulfilling prophecies.
- All behavior is a result of the complex interplay of the person and the situation at the time of the behavior. Context is everything.